You might think that you can discover Milan only by wandering in its streets, looking out for hidden squares, chasing trams and avoiding passers-by.
Well, think again: you can also discover Milan from its roofs. Or, to be honest, from one roof in particular, one of the oldest, most famous and most refined: Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II’s. The Highline Gallery is an elevated walkway that will reveal a new aspect of the city, the one that only pigeons can claim to truly know.
Credits photo: http://bit.ly/1UCVVQy
The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is known as Milan’s salotto, an elegant meeting point next to the Duomo, built in 1865 by architect Mengoni. Renovations and restyling have followed over the years, until it was inaugurated with a new look during Expo2015. The latest works have seen the names of Italian and international fashion artists involved: Prada and Versace have left aside meters and fabrics and have inaugurated the new version of the gallery in April, 2015.
Only a month later, on May 20, the Highline Gallery has opened as a walkway that combines the history of Milan with the modern skyline.
Highline Gallery is a walkway that runs along about 250 meters above the Galleria and which occupies a total area of 550 square meters. To access it, you must go to via Silvio Pellico 2, open daily from 9.00 to 23.00. The entrance fee is € 12 for adults and € 10 for children.
From the walkway you can see Milan’s panorama: Piazza Duomo with its Madonnina and the skyline with its new skyscrapers sprouting from the roofs of the old, traditional tenement houses. Along the walkway there is also a museum dedicated to the history of Milan in the period when the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II was built.
In addition to day tickets, the Highline Gallery also organizes special events. Below, the next ones scheduled:
· From April 8 theatrical tours will be organized focusing on the history of the Galleria and on its architect, Mengoni. The event is called L’architetto Mengoni torna dopo 150 anni and is organized by Dramatrà. For further information, write to email@example.com.
· On April 14 at 18.00 the walkway will be occupied by famous and emerging architects that will draw the panorama in front of them. The event aims to raise funds for further restorations of the Galleria.
· From April 29 you can watch the sunrise from the roof of Milan. The Highline Gallery will open at 6:30 on April 29 and 30, May 14 and 27 and June 11 June.
· Not much has been said about May 22’s event. All we know is that we’ll be there because a musical surprise is about to happen on the roofs of the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
· For all football fans, on May 28 the Champions League final will be screened featuring drinks and gadgets
· To celebrate the arrival of summer and not to miss seaside too much, from June 1 an artificial beach will be treasured on the Galleria’s roof.
The scheduled events are many and in order not to forget about them we recommend you to keep an eye on the Facebook page and on the official website of the Highline Galleria www.highlinegalleria.com.