We often recommend to tourists to visit venues that aren’t included by travel guides in Milan standard itineraries.
The Church of San Gottardo is one of these places, furthermore is located within walking distance from Piazza Duomo.
A few meters beyond the so-called “cerchia dei Navigli”, you can reach this beautiful church. We advise you to insert it in a brief itinerary that includes Palazzo Reale, located just behind San Gottardo in Corte.
The Church of San Gottardo in Milan was initially dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, then to San Gottardo, patron saint of gout and gall stones, because Azzone Visconti, who commissioned the building of the church in 1336, was afflicted by these illnesses.
The history of this church is also linked to a murder happened in 1412, when Giovanni Maria Visconti, Duke of Milan, known for his cruelty, was murdered in front of the church by a group of conspirators, supporters of Bernabò heirs.
With regard to the current conditions of the church, the requalification works began in 2014, in fact San Gottardo in Corte was granted by the municipality of Milan to the Veneranda Fabbrica del Duomo, that will do all the restoration works. “We hope that, before the beginning of Expo 2015, the Church of San Gottardo, a real hidden gem, it will become one of the places that represent the cultural heritage of our city and that tourists can visit and appreciate”, said the assessor of the State Property Daniela Benelli.
The inauguration is planned for 5th May 2015.
The architectural style of the facade was changed at the end of the XVIII century by Giuseppe Piermarini, during the renovation works in the neoclassical style of Palazzo Reale.
The beautiful bell tower, instead, has kept its original appearance; it has an octagonal structure and a plaque at its base commemorating the first designer Francesco Pecorari. On this octagonal tower was installed the first example of public clock.
The adjacent street was nicknamed “contrada delle ore” (district of hours), due to the innovation of the clock mechanism (before were used only sun-dials).
Inside the church of San Gottardo there is a fresco, currently under restoration, around which a mystery lingers.
In 1929, underneath the plaster at the base of the bell tower of San Gottardo, were discovered the remains of the Giottesque fresco “Crucifixion”, probably painted by one of Giotto pupils (now the fresco is housed inside the church, after the restoration of the 50’s and 80’s).
Art historians have assigned the authorship of this artwork to artists that probably followed the master in his journey to Milan, as Puccio Capanna, Stefano, Maso or Giottino.
The Church of San Gottardo is located at Via Pecorari, 2 Phone: 02 86.464500
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 12:00 am, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 8:30 am to 1:30 pm.